View Profile Gimmick

105 Movie Reviews

Funny

Despite its simplicity, I got quite a laugh from the stupidity of the main character and the effects of the "ice beam", I'll elaborate later.

The art/graphics: Rather simple, the people are a bunch of stickmen with faces and a dress, Cyanide-and-happiness style. While it's not exactly eye-catching, it does strangely fit the current series. The background looks good, but some objects like the amulet were nothing more than some basic shapes..

The animation: The animation was smooth, overall, but at some points of time (for example, the zooming in of the character, and the shot of Kirk, and the delay following it) was a bit too slow for my liking; other parts (like the credits) were too fast. Other parts were a bit choppy, like the moving of the protagonist to reveal the amulet; it could be forgiven, though, as the other parts more than compensated.

The music/sound/voicing: Ironside fitted in nicely, the beginning serving as an alarm and the latter part of the 13 second snippet as an anticlimax, although it was a little high-pitched. The sound effects were aptly chosen, of the ice beam crashing into Kirk, apart from others. The voice acting was nice too.

The storyline/other: Upon viewing it the first time, it seemed a little long, but on second viewing, it dawned on me that it was oh so short. Nevertheless, the light-hearted comedy accompanying it made it better, overall. The credits were rolling a bit too fast, though. I never could've guessed the soundtrack was Quincy Jones' Ironside if I hadn't read Haggard's review. (I finally saw the "13 second snippet" thing after subsequent views)

All in all, a niece, short flash that I'd view again, with an art style I'd normally not think would fit well in flashes, but it does here.

1) Nice music, sound effects selection
2) Smooth animation
3) Simplistic art
4) Funny

1) Credits rolling too fast; points in animation slow
2) Parts of art a bit too simple

MistyEntertainment responds:

Thank you for your review! In this episode's original run, TBH the main character wasn't intended to be stupid, but I'm still glad you got a laugh out of it!

Art/graphics: I always thought that the simple, somewhat-jerky style oddly corresponded to the plotline. The original characters were supposed to be complex animals but I settled on a simple but effective style.

Animation: Thanks!

Music: Thanks. I did my best to find a fitting soundtrack for that.

Storyline/other: Interesting that it seemed long at first. Your insight is appreciated.

I didn't know anybody paid attention to the credits, I'll make them slower next time.

Not bad...but not flash

The video's all right, and considering that it was done on a Nintendo DS, I think I should give extra stars. Should I...?

The art: Alright, the art was just random stick figures drawn, namely a professor, a stickman and something else, maybe a spray? So if it was a normal flash, then it wouldn't have been as good, seeing as it takes a lot of work -- I think -- do replicate this on a DS. But it's no excuse for poor-ish art. The explosion, the city and the professor's head were drawn relatively nicely, though.

The animation: Due to the effect (?) created in the video, I see multiple screens on the screen, each showing the same picture. Not sure what to make of that, but I guess if I focused on an individual screen then I could call it a smooth-ish animation, which is a bit blocky. I can't really say though, since this is after all, not a flash animation but a video.

The sound: I think the music fits the plot well: slightly funny (to me) and a bit fast-paced, which kinda reminds me of a Wiley Coyote theme. Good job on the selection of music. The sound effects, though, were negligible, except for the last part which really surprised me: One moment I'm listening to calming music, the next a loud scratch as the video cuts. Maybe the sound could've been made a little softer?

The storyline: So I see a stickman bringing something up, next second flying high in the sky, something happens, boom, then the professor's experimenting with a box. I can't really see any storyline here, it's as if you just shot random things to experiment with this. I can't give you any stars on that but I won't take away any, though.

All in all, not so bad since it's actually done on Pictochat, as Wearfare said (and I assume), so I've chosen to give extra stars. But an afterthought: I don't think you should upload videos on Newgrounds. NG's for flash animation. Not for videos. I think you should've stuck to Youtube for this video, but if your aim was to show what people could to with said program, then I think your aim was acheived.

~~ Good points ~~
1) Done on Pictochat (+++)
2) Nice music selection
3) Some parts drawn well

1) Overall poor art
2) Blocky animation
3) Loud sound effects
4) It's a video!

PowerRangerYELLOW responds:

What happens is the stickman bites his tounge so hard it bleeds and the resulting blood spray sends him flying.

he eventually loses blood and quickly falls to the earth where a city happens to be than the stickman explodes creating a hugh metor where the city used to be.

The professor gets excited because he has found a brand new discovery and begins tests using boxes.

near the ending he begins to activate the transmitter inside one of the boxes however the machine cannot handle the new frequency.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

-PowerRangerYELLOW

Okay

I watched this animation, and I was ready for the person to move on and possibly kill some more people when it just said replay. I was literally like "That's IT?" at that point of time. That's when I saw the author comments, this was a test to practice your animation skills. Ohh.

The art: The people aren't very well drawn, but the background sure is. I like the 3D effect you gave for some parts of the house, along with other minor-ish details such as the station wagon behind the bush and the car in the garage. Overall it would've been good, but the bad character art brought the quality down.

The animation: So this is a test of your animation, so let's look at that, shall we? Okay, the first thing I notice right off the bat is that the animation's smooth and not chunky or blocky at all; good job on that. The spawning of the bullets and their "mini-explosion" against the MREs are also pulled off very well. So far, so good.

The sound: The sound effects are okay, I mean, you said that all gun sounds sound equal, so I won't bother with that, but there's a slight problem with the music: it would normally build up suspense but in this case, coupled with the animation, there's just....not enough suspense, and the music just tends to continue even when the animation's finished. Not. Good.

The storyline: Very, very short. At first I thought it was going to be a full-length movie, but then when I watched it and looked at the file size, I was rather disappointed.

All in all, okay if you're animating after a long hiatus, but otherwise not very good if you're aiming for quality, no.

~~ Summary~~

1) Nice background art
2) Good sound effects
3) Smooth animation

1) Music still continues even when flash finishes
2) Very short

Phantox responds:

I think I spent a whole week drawing that background (not including the time it took to restart from my last save when flash crashed)

I don't know how to make the characters better, though so I just leave it the way it is.

Thanks for your review

180 Game Reviews

A good 'game', but has some flaws

(This review has spoilers!)

The novel was quite a good read, and the art was pretty detailed! I don't really like sad endings, although I quite agree that there are way too many 'happy endings' in stories already. If you're going to include a 'happy ending' in a far sequel that refers to this, as you mentioned in a reply to someone else's review, then a few suggestions are:

The war's over and either:
a) Leon has dug up and gotten Mai repaired (continuation of ending 1)
b) The people who originally attacked Mai and disassembled her end up reassembling her (it doesn't show them doing more than just ripping out the arms afaik, so should be a plausible ending) and sending her back to Leon (continuation of ending 2)
c) Leon learns of the war ending (like the old man?) and gets Mai repaired

There are a few (albeit minor) points against this flash, though:
1) Pressing S twice while the line's being written does not finish it (fast readers will have to wait for the line to be written fully)
2) No previous dialogue option (Pressing S too fast made me skip a dialogue because the previous line was '...')
3) There aren't quite enough options to make it interactive enough and some endings don't seem plausible (originally, Leon mentioned that they'd go back to the museum after visiting Hikari City; choosing the third option "take Mai and leave" does not mention this possibility of finding supplies there / the old man (from one of your previous games?) is entirely ignored after the house scene, Leon doesn't deal with the Boss despite the fact that a) he easily handled 3 people or so to rescue Mai initially and b) he's armed)

That's all I can think of right now. It's a good flash, nonetheless! Look forward to seeing more of your works in the future...if it's not sad ;)

Just my 2ยข.

Meh

I found the game good but it wasn't the most original idea, I say. There are plenty of gravity based games like these out there, and what does this have that makes it stand out from the others?

The art: The main menu artwork was good, I'll give you that. However, the ingame art was....disappointing. I see a little ball with eyes and I wonder "Is that supposed to be an alien?" I don't know if "Bob" is an alien or not, but whatever it is, it's not drawn very well. The walls are just regular shapes with a background. Not good. The black holes and the explosion, however, were good.

The animation: Smooth. The explosion animation, however, was a bit choppy. I can't really say much else because there's not much left apart from the explosion and the black hole animation.

The music: Not bad, it's actually good, but it's a bit repetitive and after a time it gets irritating. The sound effects are drowned out by the loud music, but they're not bad, if you can hear them.

The concept: As I said before, the game's concept is not original. There are plenty of other gravity games out there, and this is no different. To answer the question I asked before: this game has nothing extraordinary, nothing surprising, just your average gravity game.

The gameplay: It's rather simple, just using the arrow keys and the space key to switch gravities. Sounds simple, but as always it gets tougher. Some levels took me a long time to finish and made me frustrated when I almost finished but had to restart. I don't know much, but the fact you could swap gravities while in midair meant you could do a lot more than you could with other gravity games where they switched on contact. I'm still wondering whether this makes it easier for the user or not. Maybe a limited amount of switches you can make in a level...?

All in all, not bad, despite the fact it's no different from any other gravity based game. And yes I have been harsh :)

1) Smooth animation
2) Simple gameplay

1) Repetitive music
2) Relatively unoriginal
3) Rather basic art

ProfessorFlash responds:

I can appreciate constructive criticism so thanks for your review. I'll keep your points in mind if I do a sequel.

Not bad

It's a good flash, but there were a few glitches that just brought it down in my opinion. I know your motive was to make people donate blood, but I won't be heading out to, because I'm scared of needles...but on topic, why this for Halloween? What's it got to do, apart from Dracula?

The graphics: Basic. The text in the beginning is italicized and just plain annoying. The text later on is better, but the font's too...basic. The images look as if they're ripped from the Google Image search...the background's not too good either. The UI is basic, and not very neat, I must say...

The animation: I don't think there's any animation at all. It's just a quiz, and for the bare animation there is, it's either a) too fast or b) too slow. I'm talking about the animations as you progress levels, and the end animation, all of which are just...hurried.

The music: Bad choice of music. I think it'd be better if you had peaceful music even in the increasing levels, so that the viewer could actually concentrate a bit. It doesn't help that every time you fail at level 3, you go back to level 3 and the level 3 music starts again, thereby duplicating the copy. So, say you lost twice at level 3, there'd be three copies in total.

The gameplay: It's just a simple quiz. You click and you get information. You pass if you get it correct, you go back to the beginning if you lose. That's what I hate -- having to replay it all over again. Thankfully, there were checkpoints. Yet this system isn't foolproof, but hurried -- there's no option to disable people from clicking "Play" from the context menu and just skipping things, and there's nothing to prevent people from searching on the internet. Perhaps you could've had an anti-cheat system and a timer?

All in all, an okay piece, although I think that this is thoroughly flawed. Please attempt it again, and fix the bugs!

1) Simple...?

4) Little, if any, animation
5) Music glitch
6) Nothing to prevent users cheating

IceDragon64 responds:

Thank you for your detailed review.

See below for explanation of reason for connection with Halloween

I like the fonts and I wouldn't change them. The images were taken (and credited) from Goodle images etc. I don't see why that is a problem. They were intended to show that Blood Donation is an international thing etc. and they do so. Since you have not told me which animations are too fast and which too slow I can't really respond. Like most quizzes, the animation is only intended to be a decoration etc. I can't see why you say "if any" animation and that you don't think there is any- when you criticise the animation you have seen.

Whilst some of our quizzes do incorporate anti--cheating I don't think it is important- if people want to cheat they will find a wayand its their choice to do so. If people were prepared to look up the answers, that would be fine by me- as they explored the pages, they would learn more!
I might do somehting with some backgrounds, but it would generally look too cluttered with the art, photos and animation if I put much in the background.

Sorry about the glitch- thanks for pinpointing it for me - we can definately fix that.

The effort y'all have put into reviewing does inspire me to improve the quiz.

You gotta fix this fear of needles- just go do it, these people are experts and they will leave you with less fear of needles!

16 Audio Reviews

Goddamn this song is great. It has a wonderfully calm, yet epic feel like the beginning of TF2's The Calm soundtrack, but continues on for another 4 minutes :)

(Side note, there's no reason to get pissed of at the PAS maker for including this song in it, because 1, I - along with likely a lot other people - got to know about it only because it was featured in it, 2, it's noncommercial and 3, it's been removed now IIRC)

Nice

I found this song a little silly, like you said, but at the same time nice to listen to. However, there were a few problems I found with this. I'll elaborate later.

The intro is a little robotic, which I like, but I find that it's a bit long (0:00 to 0:30) to just actually get to the main part. Normally I find around 10 seconds are just about enough, but only under certain circumstances can they extend over to 20 or 30 seconds.

The rest of the song from (0:30 to 1:40) is a little medium-paced, which sets the stage for the chorus which is some instruments playing repeatedly, but not in an order that makes it repetitive. Good job.

The part where your voice came in which was tweaked, I hope (!) was a little creepy to me the first time I listened to it. The next time I listened to it it reminded me of a monster baby's voice, which was a bit weird but strangely fit in this audio piece.

I liked the extro a bit more, because this time instruments weren't repeated, but fresh new ones were added into the mix, some others muted, and the last part faded. I would've liked it if it was looping, though, since the fade out part was the only thing I had a slight "problem" with.

All in all, a good piece of music worth listening to for 4 minutes and 40 seconds.

1) Repeated instruments, but not repetitive
2) Nice to listen to
3) Interesting mix of voice

1) Long intro

JPRixdorfer responds:

Thanks for the review and the nice words!

Long intro is a very good point. I don't know about the length in seconds, but cutting in in half is a good idea.
Of course, my voice was tweaked. I more thought of it like a dwarven trio, but monster baby's good too :) My real voice can be heard in my "B.O.B." submission.
I'm against the looping of the extro, because it peaks in the end and I want it to stop there. But I could probably exchange the fadeout ending for ... I don't know, a weird syncoped chord or something.

Thanks!! *hug*

Nice

I can listen to this all day.

Sabrewyng responds:

Thanks man!

24 Art Reviews

Good

It's a nice little carved pumpkin I've seen. Definitely not the best, but also not the worst I've seen...There's not much to talk about here, seeing this is a photo. I'll still try anyways :p

The teeth are jagged and there's an "off" tooth that sticks out to show that it's possibly the main teeth. The candle can be seen clearly, and the eyes are round and...well, perfectly round! One eye's smaller than the other, possibly to show relative swelling in the other. The image in screen #4 also reminds me of the "shocked" emote in the BBS, and I think this pumpkin also shows a shocked expression.

I can't spot anything wrong with this, except for maybe the blurriness in the pictures. When I clicked on "Full size", it took me a while to load -- considering that it's 4000x600 after all -- but when I saw the picture, I found that not all parts were created equal: I saw a crisp, clear image of the pumpkin in one screen, but a very, very blurry image in another screen. The images are also a bit dark, and it was hard to see parts of the pumpkin away from the candle due to the bad lighting. Maybe you could've used flash photography?

All in all, a good carving of the pumpkin, and I'd say this is not bad at all! However, there were a few flaws in the capturing of this image, and that just ruined it a little for me.

1) Good carving
2) Appropriate detail on pumpkin
3) Good facial expressions shown

1) Dark background, no flash
2) Blurry images in some panels

Chronamut responds:

sadly this was very hard to get a clear pic of as the flickering of the candle adds to the blurriness, as well as me trying to hold it steady for 5 seconds as it takes its time to take the picture - I feel I lost points more for camera pic quality than quality of carving itself, which is a tad frustrating. The eyes and tooth are iconic points of the "goin up" demon as he always has that tooth and stupid surprised look on his face, as well as the horns which you can barely see sticking out of the pumpkin.

If I had done it with a flash it woulda given the pumpkin an entirely different look and you wouldn't have been able to see inside of the pumpkin. Still I took some progress pics, maybe I will upload those.

I also took a video which you can see in the description which shows it a bit better.

Also the inside of the pumpkin isn't scooped out, which gives it a more cavernous appearance.

If you click that link you will also see more shots of the pumpkin - I am a little disappointed that the majority of review request club members didn't READ my description fully as if they had a lot of their concerns would have already been addressed.

also "not the best" is always painful to hear when one does their very best putting 10 hours into it and then to be slammed because he had difficulty holding the camera steady.

also do you have any idea how difficult is is to carve MULTIPLE rows of teeth with teeth poking up above you and very little room to maneuver? I doubt anyone else on this entire site could have pulled that off...

also the point wasn't to see the parts away from the pumpkin - the point was to see the pumpkin - all my pumpkin images are like that.

neways..

thanks for the review!

-shawn-

Well

I honestly thought that this person was a male until I saw your reply to SCTE3's review. Seriously, it looks more like a man in more than one way. I'll elaborate later.
So, let's see!

There's an assassin who I originally presumed was a male due to the white skin and the lack of hair, with darkness inside the hoodie. The assassin concerned has a rather fancy top, with a large collar, like typical assassins, or at least ones that reminded me of the ones in Assassin's Creed. (I never actually played the game :p)

I like the shading you've given to the collar, which is a gradual gradient from black (from the hoodie) to white (outside). The only problem is, I don't know where the light's coming from. It could have come from behind the person, or from ahead, or there could've been more than one source, but I only see a few shadows, none under the collar!

The hoodie that the assassin is wearing is drawn nicely, and the darkness is also accounted for. Oh wait, that's hair? Is it? If it is, then I doubt it's as good. The hair is almost invisible, because I can't see any individual strands!

The assassin is a male. Cross that out, you said it's a female. It seems that you made a mistake there, because it looked like a male on the first glance, and when I looked at it closely. The expression is neutral, the eyes are lowered down, no visible eyelashes, some thin eyebrows and deep gashes above. I'm going to assume they're gashes, but if they're not then you're in for some more trouble :p The nose is drawn nicely, with some shading here and there, but...it still looks male! Looks like you need to practice female anatomy bro :x

The shirt/top/whatever on the other hand is drawn quite nicely, and I like the curves you've drawn here and there in a different color than the shirt's to show contrast, and a slight band on the left side. There's a slight necklace with a small symbol, and it's drawn nicely, although I don't think that does anything to show that it's a female. I've seen some men wear that :x

The background on the other hand, though, is a little dull, it's just light brown. I mean WUT? Just light brown!? There's so many possibilities, a cityscape at the back, showing the assassin-a at the top of a building, and a skybox at the top, but not a solid color background!

I'll conclude the review with this statement: All in all, a good piece of art, however I do notice that it's not as good as could've been.

1) Good detailing at parts
2) Nice shading at parts
3) Nice drawing of clothes

1) Light source position unknown
2) It's a female? Looks more like a male :\
3) Dull background
4) [If hair] Hair drawn badly behind hoodie

Nice

I like this picture and reminds me of monologues wherein there's a picture and a person who's talking in the foreground, using the picture to explain. I also applaud you for the fact that you did this all in MS Paint.
So, let's see in detail!

The facial expressions are pulled off very well, and I guess that some parts of the face were exaggerated, kinda like a caricature, just to promote the "cartoonyishness" in the picture of the person. The fact that you can see his eyebrow is tilted down, wrinkles surround the area near his forehead and his eyes are bulging out just show how angry he is.

The half-mask is supposedly to hide his mouth and part of his nose, but I see you've added the nose, but tinted it the color of the cloth, and added some creases so as to make it look as if it's protruding out. Clever. I just don't see the same with the mouth though, there's supposed to be a faint mouth outline even though he's wearing a mask. The ears are not obvious enough even though their outline can be seen, only half-covered by the mask.

The muscles of the neck kinda remind me of MindChamber's level icon. There's some bare skin underneath just near the chest, but I don't know what it is. Is it intentional? Unintentional? If intentional, is it a fist? A torn part of cloth? What is it? I want to know more!

The hair drawn on the person is smooth, and just slightly tilted, as if to show a wind blowing by from the right. Lighting is appropriately fixed at so that the center of his face is brightest and the parts away from it is duller.

Now about the picture.

The picture in the background shows an open dungeon of a sort, with a cave or a hidey-hole in the wall and part of a monster's head stuck out, and the rest enclosed in total darkness. Unlike the person, the picture in the background is relatively simple, and not a lot of detail is given there, but I can infer from that that it's probably a desert, and was it [not enough detail] intentional?

There's a thought text just outside the background, saying "Hmm..". Interesting....is there a story behind it that I may not know about? All in all, a good picture, and more so that it's done in Paint. I'd love to know what you could do with Photoshop (Or is it fotosheep? :p)

1) Nice detail given to character
2) Appropriate lighting
3) Appropriate exaggeration given for cartoony style

1) Ears hidden, almost invisible
2) What's that thing at the bottom?
3) Lack of detail for background (Was it intentional?)

Thanks for dropping by!